SO. Four days ago, on the 24th, I sent my next query to Sara Megibow of Nelson Agency. The very next day, in my inbox, was the reply.
I sat and gave the unopened file the eyeball for a time, all suspicious-like. This was the fastest response I'd gotten thus far, and that held some weight. If it was a 'we'd like to see your manuscript', it would mean my newly written query was a success and I could do a happy dance. But, if it was that dreaded and despised rejection, that could mean:
a) My query letter was a lot worse than expected.
b) SSS really could be a doomed project.
c) This agency is merely more efficient than the others and I'm overracting.
SO. I opened the file.
BOOM. Rejected.
My first reaction was WHY?! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! CURSEWORDSCURSEWORDSCURSEWORDS!!!!!!!! But, then I put on some sweatpants, danced around, and watched last weeks episode of Glee. And I felt WORLDS better.
SO. I went all siffy-hound-like and compared my three different query letters. I found a ton of differences, but one really stuck out to me.
In this latest letter, I mentioned that SSS, "rests at a comfortable word count of 34,516..."
Could this be the problem? Could SSS simply be too short to be considered a novel? Have I created the awkward, in-between NOVELLA!? Why am I typing in capital letters so much!?
I'll send a few more and develop my theory further.
In other news, my NaNoWriMo plot is all figured out, and now I am (im)patiently waiting for November first to start. Also, I entered a contest that might enable me to have a one-on-one with an agent and get an editor.
Also, with Halloween being my second favorite holiday, I bought my costume. Not to betray my obvious borderline-obsessive-love for Marvel comics, I will be Wonder Woman. Yes, the time of year for slootiness has arrived.
Sexy in all My Nerdy Glory,
Moriah
Haha! I haven't even begun to plan for NaNoWriMo (well, I have a really long character profile for my FMC, but still...). Can't wait for November either!
ReplyDelete